What are the requirements for admission?
For a Bachelor’s degree, you have to have a diploma of secondary education (school leaving certificate or corresponding document from your country legalized in Ukraine). For more information, please refer to “Admission Requirements” section.

Do I have to take the entrance exams?
All candidates who want to be admitted on 1 st year have to take the entrance exams (chemistry and language): it is the only basis on which we can fairly compare the academic ability of candidates from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds.

Can I transfer to Kyiv Medical University?
Transfer from other universities to Kyiv Medical University is possible if study program that you are studying right now and the study program which you would like to study at Kyiv Medical University do not differ by more than 20 ECTS credits. Also, you should not have any academic debts. Faculties of Kyiv Medical University can set additional requirements for transfer. Please contact the International Department for detailed information – follow the link for the contacts.

What language are study programs in?
All study programs are taught in English or Ukrainian. You can choose your language.

What are the term dates of academic year?
The academic year is divided into autumn semester and spring semester. Between semesters there are lecture-free period (“holidays”).
Autumn semester – from September till January
Spring semester – from February till June
Remember, that a student is granted permission to take the final exam only if all absences have been cleared/reworked and the total sum of grades received in the program of the semester is above the minimum required grade.

How should I prepare to study in Ukraine?
We recommend that you prepare for your departure very carefully and as early as possible. It is often difficult and time-consuming to complete all formalities and prepare the necessary papers.
Before you leave:
– Prepare Ukrainian visa (type D or “student visa”) (contact the closest Embassy or consulate in your country for more information);
– Make sure you take all important papers and documents with you – REMEMBER! your high school certificate/diploma needs to be legalized in Ukraine (legalization stamp or Apostille) (contact the closest Embassy or consulate in your country for more information).

Can I bring my husband/wife/other family members?
Students are granted individual visas ONLY. Your spouse and other family members may always apply for a tourist visa and visit you during your studies.

How will my stay in Ukraine be legalized?
Applicants can enter the territory of Ukraine on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a student visa. Before arriving to Ukraine International students must apply for a student visa in the Ukrainian Embassy or consulate in their home country. A short-term visa entitles the holder to stay in Ukraine for up to 3 months. In order to prolong the legalization of stay, International students should apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (posvidka) in Kyiv. Legally, you can apply a month before your current student visa expired, but it is better if student submits all the required documents before that date. Within a month after receiving a Temporary Residence Permit (posvidka), the student must register in a hostel or in an apartment.

Do I need a health insurance?
International students do not participate in the Ukrainian national health care system. On the basis of state bilateral agreements, they can be attended free of charge only in case of emergency. However, the costs of medical care in hospital and appointments to general physicians will have to be covered by the students. These costs can be high. Therefore, they should buy health care and medical insurance for the period of their stay in Ukraine. Note that you must have medical insurance in order to be admitted to University.

What is the climate in Ukraine and what kind of clothes should I take?
Ukraine is placed in the middle of Europe, between different climate types, and as the result, Ukrainian weather patterns are transitional and variable, thanks to the collision of diverse air masses above the country’s surface. This causes seasons to differ from one another, year-to-year. Early autumn is generally sunny and mildly-warm (temperature varies daily between 5 and 15 degrees) before the period of rainy, windy, colder weather in October/November, that indicates beginning of the transition into winter. Winter, which may last from one to three months, might bring frequent snowstorms and drastic drop of average temperature, even to below 0. Winters do differ each year – one year it will be snowing constantly, and the temperature will drop to even -15 or -20 degrees; the other year it will be rainy, and the average daily temperature will oscillate around 0 degrees. The spring arrives slowly in March or April, bringing mainly sunny days after a period of alternating wintertime and springtime conditions. Summer, which extends from June to August, is generally sunny and warm. Sometimes, showers and thunderstorms alternate with dry sunny weather. Occasional hailstorm is also not unheard of. Yearly average temperature in Kyiv varies between 7-9 degrees, with ever-registered maximum being 39,4 C and minimum -32,2 C degrees. It is advised to prepare clothing for every type of weather. Especially for autumn and winter, it is recommended to have water- and wind-proof clothing, including boots. Early spring can turn out to be cold and rainy as well. Late-spring and summer might turn out very hot, so light wear should also fit into your baggage. Very hot summers tend to cause very cold winters, so warm cloths, like a jacket, hoodies, caps, scarfs, are a must when coming to Ukraine (especially, when your home country is generally warm/hot throughout the year).

What should I know about money and currency exchange in Ukraine?
Ukrainian official currency is Hryvnia (code: UAH; short: hrn); 1 hryvna = 100 kopiyok. The currency comes in coins (10, 25, 50 kopiyok and 1, 2, 5 Hryvnia) and bills (1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 Hryvnia). The Ukrainian Hryvnia is fully convertible and available at numerous exchange points and banks throughout Kyiv and all other Ukrainian cities. Banks in your country might not have Hryvnia immediately available but it is usually possible to order them in a currency exchange. The exchange rates are relatively stable but there are some slight fluctuations (approx. 1 USD = 27 UAH and 1 EUR = 29 UAH). In order to check the current exchange rate please visit the website of the National Bank of Ukraine here The safest places to exchange currencies are banks. They may, however, offer lower exchange rates than other currency exchange points. Banks are usually open from Monday to Friday (on average from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.) and some of them on Saturdays (on average till 1.00 p.m.). Better exchange rates are offered by specialized currency exchange points. However, those in airports usually offer unfavorable exchange rates (even worse than in banks). You can also withdraw money from your own bank or credit account using ATMs that are widely available all over the city.

What is the cost of living in Kyiv?
Examples of expenses:
– Accommodation in a student`s hostel ~ 1900 UAH/month
– Accommodation in a shared flat or apartment ~ 10000 UAH/month

Examples of prices for products and services in Kyiv in 2020.
– bread – 10-15 UAH
– 0,5 bottled water – 10 UAH
– milk – 20 UAH
– butter – 40-50 UAH
– cheese – 150-200 UAH/kg
– coffee in a cafe – 45-70 UAH
– cinema ticket – 100 UAH
– fast-food meal – 100-200 UAH
– dinner in an average restaurant – 300-600 UAH
– pizza – 150-200 UAH
– bus – 8 UAH
– metro – 8 UAH

You should expect additional expenses which may occur during your stay. Those might be:
– A refundable deposit for your accommodation (usually 1 or 2 month’s rent)
– Initial expenditures (sheets, towels, cooking utensils, books, etc. depending on the accommodation provider)
– Utilities (if they are not included in rent)
– Tickets, entrance fees, reservations if you would like to do sightseeing in Kyiv
– Different fees and subscriptions, monthly tickets for public transportation, internet etc.
– Medical insurance (mandatory for students)

Are there any distance learning study programs at the University?
Technically, there are no distance learning study programs at the University – it is required for all admitted students to arrive and participate in lectures, seminars and other activities. Even though the current Spring semester will be finished remotely, studies in the Autumn semester will get back to normal contact if the University will not be again affected by the global COVID-19 pandemic.

Can I pay the tuition fee by instalments?
The tuition fee payment for the first semester of studies has to be made during the admission procedure. The payments from the second year are divided for each semester and can be paid by instalments. Click here for more information.

EVENTS | All Events
PARTNERS | All partners